SCG Trust Timeline

1810

Governor Macquarie proclaimed a park adjacent to the city to be named Hyde Park. This park incorporated a racecourse, exercise ground and cricket ground, and had been the centre of sporting activity in Sydney since the early 1800's.

1852

A grant of land to the south of Victoria Barracks was given to the British Army for use as a soldier's cricket ground and garden.

1854

First recorded cricket match was played at the ground between the Garrison Club and Royal Victoria Club. Garrison won.

1860

NSW cricket team used the ground for practice before playing Victoria.

1861

Victorian team practised at the ground in preparation for its match against NSW at The Domain.

1868

Moore Park was opened as a public recreation area adjacent to the ground. It was named after the Mayor of Sydney, Charles Moore, who planted a number of Moreton Bay Fig trees in the park.

1870

British troops left Victoria Barracks and the future of their cricket field, then known as the Military & Civil Ground, became uncertain. Club rugby union was first played at the ground.

1875

The NSW Cricket Association approached the NSW Government with an offer to upgrade the ground. The government agreed and made plans to form a trust to oversee the management of the ground. The NSW Cricket Association was invited to nominate two trustees.

1876

The ground was formally dedicated by the Governor, Sir Hercules Robinson, and officially handed over to the Trust. The first Trustees were Richard Driver MLA, Phillip Sheridan and William Stephen.

1877

The first cricket match on the rebuilt ground was played between the Government Printing Office and the Audit Office.

1878

The Sydney Lawn Tennis Club (formerly the Association Ground Tennis Club) was formed, basing itself at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1879

The ground began to be used for athletics meetings.

1880

The Association Ground Lawn Tennis Club was formed. It later became the Sydney Lawn Tennis Club and has survived to become the oldest tennis club in Australia.

1881

The first inter-colonial football match played at the ground was a game of Australian rules football between NSW and Victoria on 6th August.

1886

Messrs Parry & Son successfully tendered for the construction of a new Members Pavilion. The old wooden pavilion on the site was demolished and the new pavilion was completed in November 1886 at a cost of 6,625 pounds.

1894

The name of the ground was changed to the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1895

The Hill Stand (later called the Bob Stand) was opened. This stand was moved to North Sydney Oval in 1983.

1896

The present Ladies Stand was completed. The Ned Gregory Scoreboard was built. A cycle track was laid around the perimeter of the ground.

1897

The Northern Stand was erected to the north-east of the Members' Pavilion.

1898

Lights were installed around the cycling track and the ground was a popular venue for cricket, athletics, tennis, baseball, football and cycling.

1903

The Members' Pavilion was extended.

1909

The Sheridan Stand was completed on the site where the Churchill Stand would later be built.

1911

Rugby league was first played on the Sydney Cricket Ground between NSW and New Zealand on 22nd June.

1920

The bicycle track around the SCG was removed.

1924

A new scoreboard was erected on the Hill.

1936

The Noble Stand was constructed at a cost of 90,000 pounds. It replaced the Northern Stand and was originally planned to sweep around to the west and replace the Members Pavilion and Ladies' Stand.

1938

The Empire Games (now Commonwealth Games) were held at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

1951

The Sydney Cricket Ground and Sydney Sports Ground were brought under the control of one amalgamated trust - the Sydney Cricket & Sports Ground Trust.

1973

The Bradman Stand was opened at a cost of $2 million.

1974

The Trust resolved to permit ladies to become members.

1977

The Sydney Cricket Ground Museum opened on January 14th 1977.

1978

Floodlight towers were erected at the SCG at a cost of $1.2 million.

1980

A new Brewongle Stand was opened at a cost of $8.9 million.

1983

The first electronic video scoreboard began operating.

1984

The Pat Hills Stand was opened at a cost of $6.5 million. This stand was later renamed the O'Reilly Stand.

1985

The Doug Walters stand on the Hill of the SCG was constructed, in conjunction with the Clive Churchill Stand.

1986

The Churchill Stand opened at a cost of $8.2 million.

1986

The Hill area of the SCG (including the balance of the grassed area) was progressively concreted/terraced and individually seated.

1988

Sydney Football Stadium was opened on 24th January. It was a major Bicentennial project and was specially designed to bring spectators close to the sidelines of the football field. Cost of construction was $68 million.

1991

The Yabba's Hill sign was erected at the base of the videoscreen in October of this year

1993

Interactive guided tours of the Sydney Cricket Ground and Sydney Football Stadium were introduced and named Sportspace Tours.

1994

Internal reconstruction of the Noble stand was completed.

1997

NSW Cricket Centre opened, incorporating indoor training wickets and administrative offices for Cricket NSW (formerly NSW Cricket Association).

1999

New LED electronic video screens installed at the Sydney Cricket Ground and Sydney Football Stadium.

2000

$2 million reconstruction of the SCG playing surface was undertaken.

2000

Sydney Football Stadium was the main competition venue for Olympic Games Football (Soccer) during the Sydney Games, hosting 10 matches on 7 competition days which attracted a total of 226,519 spectators.

2001

NSW Rugby Union moved its administrative headquarters from Concord to Aussie Stadium, joining the Sydney Swans and NSW Cricket Association as permanent tenants at their Moore Park home venues.

2002

The name of the Sydney Football Stadium was officially changed to Aussie Stadium in a 5-year sponsorship deal with Aussie Home Loans.

2002

Basil Sellers Centre opens in April 2002. The Centre is the office and gymnasium of the Sydney Swans and is attached to rear of the Churchill and Brewongle stands at the Sydney Cricket Ground.

2003

Aussie Stadium was a venue for Rugby World Cup, hosting five games with a total attendance of 168,948.

2003

Robbie Williams created a 16-year ground attendance record at Aussie Stadium, with nearly 100,000 people attending his two concerts.

2004

The old Sports Ground was remembered as a special historic Speedway site, when a special ceremony was held in the forecourt of the Sydney Football Stadium. Former Speedway drivers attended and a commemorative plaque was unveiled.

2004

Following a Cricket NSW Tender between the Sydney Cricket Ground and the Olympic Stadium, the rights to hold all international cricket matches in NSW from 2005 to 2010 was awarded to the SCG - the 'home of cricket'.

2005

The SCG Trust completed three major capital works at the SCG - enlarged the existing Media Centre in the Bradman Stand, constructed a new Members lounge within the Members Pavilion, and outfitted a new corporate area, known as Club SCG, at a total cost of $1.31m.

2006

A $6.95m capital works program was completed at Aussie Stadium which saw the seating capacity increased to 45,500 with 3,000 additional seats located closer to the field of play, two new food outlets, additional toilet facilities and the expansion of the Home Team dressing room.

2007

Construction of the new $70m Hill Grandstand commenced in February 2007. The new Hill Grandstand replaces the Doug Walters Stand and Hill area.

2007

The Aussie Home Loans naming rights sponsorship ends, and the Stadium reverts to the 'Sydney Football Stadium'.

2007

A major $2.5m upgrade of the six SCG light towers commenced in August of 2007. Headframes of four towers were removed and replaced by new headframes to provide state-of-the-art onfield lighting for players, spectators and television viewers. The remaining two light towers were removed as part of the Hill Grandstand construction and will be relocated to the roof of the new Grandstand when completed.

2007

The Sydney Roosters High Performance Centre and Administrative departments set up their headquarters at the Sydney Football Stadium (moving into the former NSW Rugby building).

2007

The IBM NSW Rugby Centre was officially opened on 28 November 2007. The Centre features player and administration facilities.

2008

Richie Benaud OBE, the first of the Basil Sellers Sculptures Project was unveiled by Her Excellency, Professor Marie Bashir, Governor of NSW
during the January Test Match on 4 January 2008.

2008

The sculpture of Dally Messenger, the second of the Basil Sellers Sculptures Project was unveiled by the Premier of NSW, the Hon Morris Iemma MP, on 20 March 2008.

2008

A sculpture of iconic SCG supporter Stephen Harold Gascoigne, nicknamed 'Yabba', is commissioned by the SCG Trust in honour of every spectator that has ever attended the SCG. The popular lifesized sculpture located in row two of Bay 15 of the Victor Trumper Stand, was unveiled by Major General Mark Kelly AO, Land Commander of Australia, on 7 December 2008.

2008

The Victor Trumper Stand (the new Hill Grandstand) was officially opened on 13 December 2008, by the Prime Minister of Australia, the Hon Kevin Rudd MP, and the Premier of NSW, the Hon Nathan Rees MP. The $82m state-of-the-art facility includes a 500 seat dining room (Steve Waugh Room), a 200 seat dining room (Arthur Morris Room), the Doug Walters bar and modern entry and spectator facilities.

2012

The Sydney Cricket Ground begins work on a state-of-the-art modern pavilion, replacing the existing Noble, Bradman and Messenger stands, at the end of the 2011/12 international cricket season. Click here for the latest developments.