Basil Sellers Sports Sculptures Project
Thanks to the generosity of businessman and philanthropist Basil Sellers, the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium are the home to the ten life-size bronze sculptures that form the Basil Sellers Sports Sculptures Project.
The project commissioned NSW-based sculptors Terrance Plowright and Cathy Weiszmann to create the sculptures that capture the essence of ten of the finest Australian sportsmen to have competed at the grounds and so continues the Trusts rich links with Australian sports history.
The sculptures reflect the four most influential sporting codes to have been played at the SCG and Sydney Sports Ground. The four cricket, two rugby union and two rugby league players have each played for NSW and Australia, the two AFL players have played for the Sydney Swans since their relocation to the SCG in 1982.
Fred Spofforth (The Demon)
Rugby League Sculptures
Rugby Union Sculptures
Sydney Cricket Ground Trust Sculpture
“Yabba” (Stephen Gascoigne)
FREE SCG / ALLIANZ STADIUM SCULPTURES APP AVAILABLE NOW
Take a colourful and educational journey around the 10 life-sized, bronze sculptures of the Basil Sellers Sports Sculptures Project and the SCG Trust's own "Yabba" (Stephen Gascoigne) Sculpture that are scattered around the Sydney Cricket Ground and Allianz Stadium.
This free app features:
- Behind the scenes interviews with players, sculptors and today’s sports personalities
- Match footage
- Player biography and statistics
- Images from SCG Museum archives and other sporting collections
- Philanthropist Basil Sellers explains his inspiration to fund the sculptures
- Photographs of sculptural features as sculptors speak about the creative process
- Map of sculpture locations
- Information about tours at SCG and Allianz Stadium
The application is ideal for use at the stadiums, in the classroom and at home.
Download the App
This app was produced in partnership with Narrowcasters Audio Tours, programming and graphic design by TRex Art.